Academia.edu: 'tree' of academics launches

Richard Price richard.price at ALL-SOULS.OX.AC.UK
Sat Sep 20 01:54:58 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm a Fellow at All Souls College Oxford, where I recently finished my Ph.D
on the philosophy of perception.

I've just launched a website, www.academia.edu, which does two things:

-              It displays academics around the world in a 'tree' format,
according to what university/department they are affiliated with.
-              It enables an academic to have an easy-to-maintain academic
webpage. My webpage on Academia.edu is here:
http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardPrice

My hope for the site is that it will list every academic - Faculty members,
Post-Docs, and Graduate Students - in the world, and display where they are
working. I also hope people will use the site to keep track of what people
in their field are working on.

People can list their research interests on Academia.edu, and Linguistics is
currently one of the most popular research interests on the site, with
people in 19 sub-areas of Linguistics - including Noam Chomsky
(http://mit.academia.edu/NoamChomsky):

 - Applied Linguistics
 - Composition Studies
 - Computational Linguistics / Natural Language Processing
 - Discourse Analysis
 - Historical Linguistics
 - History Of Linguistics
 - Interlinguistics
 - Languages
 - Morphology
 - Philology
 - Phonetics
 - Phonology
 - Pragmatics
 - Rhetoric
 - Second Language Acquisition
 - Semantics
 - Semiotics
 - Sociolinguistics
 - Syntax

Furthermore, people can add any research interest they like to the site. The
research interests are fully editable by any user.

Aside from Chomsky, other professors on Academia.edu include:

- Richard Dawkins (http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardDawkins)
- Stephen Hawking (http://cambridge.academia.edu/StephenHawking)

I'm trying to spread the word about www.academia.edu, so, if you have a
minute, please visit the site, and add yourself to your department on the
tree. If your department/university is not there, you can add it/them by
clicking on the arrows coming out of the department/university boxes.

And do spread the word to your friends and colleagues if you can.

Many thanks,

Richard

Dr. Richard Price,
Prize Fellow,