Algonquian Dictionaries Workshop Ottawa, February 19-21, 2004.

Marie-Odile Junker mojunker at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Tue Dec 2 10:47:11 UTC 2003

An Algonquian Dictionaries Workshop will be held at Carleton University, in
Ottawa, February 19-21, 2004.

Why this workshop?

All the linguists and speakers of Algonquian languages participating in
this workshop are involved in producing dictionaries for the language they
are documenting. The languages represented are: Naskapi, East Cree, Swampy
Cree, Montagnais/Innu, Ojibwa/Anishnabemowin, Passamaquoddy and Micmac.
These languages belong to the larger family of Algonquian languages and
present enough similarities that we believe exchanging ideas, field notes,
and brainstorming together about what we are doing would be extremely useful.

What we will be doing:

Participants will report on their work in progress (writing a dictionary on
the language they are working on). Our goal is to standardize our databases
for on-line and electronic publications that will allow multi-lingual
dictionaries. General structure of the dictionary as well as specific
lexicographical areas will be analyzed. Problems will be identified.
Solutions will be sought collectively.
Being in Ottawa will allow us to have a session with the National Library
of Canada digital collection department to explore how they can help us.

Manifest events that nurture hope.
Eliyahu MacLean

Marie-Odile Junker
Associate Professor of Linguistics
French Department and Cognitive Science Program
Carleton University
Ottawa, CANADA K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 x 7601
e-mail:mojunker at ccs.carleton.ca