relative roots

FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE jfidel at SIU.BUAP.MX
Thu Apr 20 03:25:13 UTC 2006

Hi, Monica & all,

The various comments to this thread have been enlightening and useful.  I
have two more to make, the first minor and on thread: the solution to many
quandaries will often have to do with the intended audience: the wider it
is, the more user-friendly the dictionary should be.  In planning my future
Micmac dictionary, I hope to be able to make it available online with
different 'buttons' for different users, including different orthographies,
if that issue hasn't settled out by then, as well as, I now see, for users
with different degrees of knowledge about dictionaries as such. In fact, in
dictionaries in general, there are very few really user-friendly ones,
especially if we take into consideration the fact that *very* few people
(and this includes me and probably most of us) read very carefully prefatory
and explanatory material in dictionaries, a task which is often quite
rewarding, actually.  This won't stop me from putting a probably grizzlily
long introductory explanatory preface, but I won't harbor too many illusions
about its impact.

The other comment is about the mechanics of the list.  From a comment of
yours and vague recollections, you may be the list 'monitor'.  In any case,
take a look at my 'subject' line.  I think it is important that all messages
on this list should go out with this or a similar (?maybe in small letters?)
prefix, so as to clearly distinguish it from that hated and
too-easily-deleted spam.

Comparison: [ALGONQDICT] relative roots
           [algonqdict] relative roots

Of course, I recognize all the names in this thread so far, but new people
can always come in to the group, and I'd be likely to just eliminate their
messages semi-automatically.  The prefix should be an easy change to
implement; if for some reason it isn't, most ITs should be able to guide you
(or the pertinent person) in how to do it.

Jim

Monica Macaulay escribió:

> Posoh fellow dictionary makers...
>
> We're currently going through the archaic English words that  Bloomfield
> used in his Menominee lexicon and trying to come up with  more colloquial
> defintions.  While thinking about 'thus' and what we  could replace it
> with, I realized that there's an intersecting  problem, which is due to
> the fact that all of the verbs that have  'thus' in their definition - not
> surprisingly - have the relative  root aeN- in them.  We were going to
> change 'thus' to 'in that  manner' but it occurs to me that that might be
> interpreted as a  complete definition.  So, take the verb that Bloomfield
> translates as  'it glows thus' - we could change it to 'it glows in that
> manner' but  a dictionary user might not realize that it's a verb that
> needs a  manner adverb - and that using it without one would actually be
> ungrammatical to a native speaker.  Conversely they might not realize  how
> to translate it in a sentence; i.e. if you used this verb with  'brightly'
> the meaning would be 'it glows brightly' - NOT 'it glows  brightly in that
> manner' or something like that.  Have any of you  wrestled with this one
> and come up with a good solution?
>
> A related issue of course is how much info one puts into a dictionary
> without crossing over the line into being a grammar.  I think we  probably
> are all making somewhat different decisions about where to  draw that
> line, and I haven't decided yet where it would be drawn in  a case like
> this.
>
> - Monica

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla     MÉXICO