relative roots

dcyr at YORKU.CA dcyr at YORKU.CA
Mon Apr 24 22:29:09 UTC 2006

Hi Jim, Monica et al.

Just to let you know, talking about Micmac dictionaries, that our Metallic
Mìgmaq-English Reference Dictionary finally came out in December 2005.  It
includes 11,000 Mìgmaq headwords, with definitions in English (not mere
translations,) a lot of them containing encyclopaedic content. There is also a
CD in the back cover of the book which allows for complete and easy search both
in the Mìgmaq and the English fields. We've made it as user friendly as
possible, especially for the Mìgmaq users, which means using as little as
possible of linguistic jargon and when we did we explained it as clearly and
simply as possible in the introduction.

As for the topic of the on-going discussion, we used the idefinite form but most
of the time we aslo provided a contextual example in English. Most of the
examples were produced through discussions between the three authors, the first
of them being a fluent Mìgmaq speaker. Here it what it gives.

alàsêk, i.i.v. it is going about (e.g. a rumor, a story).

alìbuluen, a.i.v. you are riding on the back of some animal (e.g. a horse).

ankunàdùn, t.i.v. you cover something  (e.g. with a blanket or tarpaulin).

alapchult,t.a.v. you have someone in hand (e.g.you are guiding a blind person).
Lit. 'he/she is under your control'.

We used the same technique for word formatives. E.g. :

-atkwik, w.f., pl. -atkwigl. Nav. a productive suffix (n.i.) which pertains to
the size of waves on the water (e.g.   maqatkwigl  high waves, màmunatkwigl,
very high waves).

You can order it at

www.ulaval.ca/pul

for $37,45 CDN plus shipping cost.

And for those who would not yet be aware, there is already an online dictionary
of Mìgmaq made by Mìgmaq people from Listuguj. You can see it at

www.mikmaqonline.com

Enjoy!

Danielle E. Cyr