relative roots

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Fri Apr 28 04:01:22 UTC 2006

Danielle,

Congratulations on the dictionary coming out!  It sounds really
impressive and I'm definitely going to order a copy.

- Monica

On Apr 24, 2006, at 5:29 PM, dcyr at YORKU.CA wrote:

> Hi Jim, Monica et al.
>
> Just to let you know, talking about Micmac dictionaries, that our
> Metallic
> Mìgmaq-English Reference Dictionary finally came out in December
> 2005.  It
> includes 11,000 Mìgmaq headwords, with definitions in English (not
> mere
> translations,) a lot of them containing encyclopaedic content.
> There is also a
> CD in the back cover of the book which allows for complete and easy
> search both
> in the Mìgmaq and the English fields. We've made it as user
> friendly as
> possible, especially for the Mìgmaq users, which means using as
> little as
> possible of linguistic jargon and when we did we explained it as
> clearly and
> simply as possible in the introduction.
>
> As for the topic of the on-going discussion, we used the idefinite
> form but most
> of the time we aslo provided a contextual example in English. Most
> of the
> examples were produced through discussions between the three
> authors, the first
> of them being a fluent Mìgmaq speaker. Here it what it gives.
>
> alàsêk, i.i.v. it is going about (e.g. a rumor, a story).
>
> alìbuluen, a.i.v. you are riding on the back of some animal (e.g. a
> horse).
>
> ankunàdùn, t.i.v. you cover something  (e.g. with a blanket or
> tarpaulin).
>
> alapchult,t.a.v. you have someone in hand (e.g.you are guiding a
> blind person).
> Lit. 'he/she is under your control'.
>
> We used the same technique for word formatives. E.g. :
>
> -atkwik, w.f., pl. -atkwigl. Nav. a productive suffix (n.i.) which
> pertains to
> the size of waves on the water (e.g.   maqatkwigl  high waves,
> màmunatkwigl,
> very high waves).
>

> You can order it at
>
> www.ulaval.ca/pul
>
> for $37,45 CDN plus shipping cost.
>
> And for those who would not yet be aware, there is already an
> online dictionary
> of Mìgmaq made by Mìgmaq people from Listuguj. You can see it at
>
> www.mikmaqonline.com
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Danielle E. Cyr
>

> Quoting FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE <jfidel at SIU.BUAP.MX>:
>
>> Hi, Monica & all,
>>
>> The various comments to this thread have been enlightening and
>> useful.  I
>> have two more to make, the first minor and on thread: the solution
>> to many
>> quandaries will often have to do with the intended audience: the
>> wider it
>> is, the more user-friendly the dictionary should be.  In planning
>> my future
>> Micmac dictionary, I hope to be able to make it available online with
> [...]

Monica Macaulay
Department of Linguistics
University of Wisconsin
1168 Van Hise Hall; 1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706
phone (608) 262-2292; fax (608) 265-3193
http://ling.wisc.edu/~macaulay/monica.html