Fwd: ALGONQDICT: possible spam from sturm at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Wed Jan 21 12:48:52 UTC 2009

I think this is not spam, so I will forward it on to the list.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "The LINGUIST List. LISTSERV Server (14.4)" <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> >
> Date: January 21, 2009 3:21:31 AM CST
> To: Monica Macaulay <mmacaula at WISC.EDU>
> Subject: ALGONQDICT: possible spam from sturm at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
>
> The  following  message was  submitted  by  sturm at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
>  to  the
> ALGONQDICT list at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG. It  is being forwarded
> to you for
> verification because the message has been identified as a possible
> "spam", that
> is, an  advertisement or other  unsolicited material  sent to large
> numbers of
> mailing  lists  with no  consideration  for  whether  or  not the
> material  is
> appropriate for the  lists it is being  sent to. A single "spam"
> can result in
> the delivery  of millions  of unwanted e-mail  messages worldwide,
> costing the
> victims and service providers a total  of several hundred thousand
> dollars. The
> cost  to  the  spammer is  usually  under  five  dollars.  To be
> effective,  a
> counter-measure  must  neutralize  the  spam within  the  first
> five  minutes.
> Consequently, there  is no time for  all the LISTSERV servers  to
> compare notes
> with each other before acting, and  some legitimate postings may be
> intercepted
> erroneously. If this is the case, simply  forward this message back
> to the list
> with an explanatory note.
>
> From: "Sturm, Beate" <sturm at sub.uni-goettingen.de>
> Date: January 21, 2009 2:30:18 AM CST
> To: ALGONQDICT at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> Subject: digital preservation within the Psycholinguistics
>

> Dear colleague!
>
> The PARSE.Insight project seeks your input towards a case study on
> digital preservation within the Psycholinguistics.
>
> Preservation of digital information is a major challenge for many
> organizations. The long-term management, access and preservation of
> this information present a number of serious risks and unresolved
> problems. The international scientific research community must rise
> to this challenge if it is to take full advantage of the data and
> information resources available for research today and in the future.
>
> The PARSE.Insight project (http://www.parse-insight.eu/), funded by
> the European Commission, aims to produce a roadmap for the
> development of an e-infrastructure for digital preservation. Besides
> a general survey, the project performs three case studies, amongst
> others within the psycholinguistics.
>
> Your particular views and experiences are of great value in helping
> to shape the roadmap, and we would be very grateful if you would
> take a few minutes to complete the survey, which may be accessed at

> [...]

Monica Macaulay
Department of Linguistics
University of Wisconsin
1168 Van Hise Hall; 1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706
phone (608) 262-2292; fax (608) 265-3193
http://ling.wisc.edu/~macaulay/monica.html