We Still Live Here

Julie Brittain brittain at MUN.CA
Thu Jan 12 20:12:45 UTC 2012

Thanks Daryl,
I'll give that a go. I very much enjoyed your LSA presentation, by the way - I was the person who asked in question period how you tailored your graduate work to suit your goals. I asked because we have in the past had Aboriginal graduate students and I always wonder about how we can make our program more serviceable, more attractive, to this very valuable subset of scholars. I guess we have done exactly as you were able to do - allow the students to focus on their community's language, so I was glad to hear that you found that a valuable modification. Also interesting to hear that you circumvented dealing with the local school system - for at least one of the communities (Quebec Cree) that I work with this is a major and ongoing  obstacle to the maintenance of Cree - but there are too many people to think about home schooling - it's a different situation than yours.
Best, Julie