lectrice externe? AND LIFE ON THE LISTSERVE

rand valentine jrvalent at WISC.EDU
Thu Jun 28 19:06:54 UTC 2012

Hi, everyone. I’ve enjoyed my French lesson today, and I certainly don’t
mind a few random emails, but I want to reiterate how wacky the
LinguistList’s mail-lists are and warn you against casually hitting “reply”
to any email from the listserve. The email Betsy sent was sent FROM the list
to all of us, but the email title in my inbox says:

Elizabeth Ritter

Re: lectrice externe?

So it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that hitting reply will send the
email to
 Elizabeth Ritter

BUT IT DOESN’T—rather the reply will go to the whole listserve. So please be
careful about this: if it comes from the listserve, hitting reply is going
to send your note TO the list serve, regardless of who the email is billed
as coming from.

Ciao.

Rand