Continuing the morphology and syntax discussion

Philip S. LeSourd plesourd at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Nov 2 17:06:45 UTC 2012

Bernie,

These are very interesting examples, but the first one doesn't actually
violate the restriction that Richard's comments were pointing to. As I
understand it, what is widespread in Algonquian languages is a ban on
sentences in which a verb has both a notionally inananimate subject and
a notionally inanimate object. (Blackfoot, I gather, goes further and
just rules out notionally inanimate subjects of transitive verbs
altogether.) Your first example, repeated in (1), doesn't actually
violate the usual restriction, because it involves a locative
complement to the verb, not an object.

(1) Kmu'j el|oq|te|sin|k|+p                            wen'ji'kuom|k.
    tree  thus|long.object|sudden.movement|fall|3|PRET house|LOC
    'The tree fell on the house.'

The verb here is formally intransitive.

As for your second example, repeated in (2), is it possible that
wutepaqn 'his/her car' is being used here AS IF it were an animate
entity, even though it still seems to be grammatically animate (and
thus lacks an obviative ending even though it has a third-person
possessor)? If so, then this example won't really be a counterexample
to the proposed principle, either--since the subject is being treated
as notionally animate.

(2) W|utepaqn na't wen     me'tesku|a|pn|n              kmu'j|l.
    3|car     ?    someone bump.into.TA|DIR|PRET|OBV.SG tree|OBV.SG
    'Someone's car bumped into the tree.'

The Passamaquoddy speakers I've talked to about this matter generally
reject exmaples like 'the stone accidentlly hit the tree (when I threw
it)', and it surprises me that closely related Micmac would be
different in this respect.

I should add, though, that I'm not sure that I've got the verb analyzed
right in (2). Does this example really involve a TA verb?

Phil LeSourd