pointing, not with finger

David Lessard david.lessard2 at MAIL.MCGILL.CA
Wed Mar 6 18:01:22 UTC 2013

Indeed, it is interesting.

Another thing that I just thought of is that there is an extremely derogatory and aggressive of pointing with the chin in one little quick movement of the head backward and a face of anger or disgust. I do not know if there is an equivalent among any Indigenous populations, though.

Envoyé à partir de mon Windows Phone
________________________________
De : Anne Lindsay
Envoyé : 2013-03-06 12:54
À : ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Objet : Re: pointing, not with finger

We were told not to point at all. And at the same time, what is about the first thing a child does to communicate?

This is such an interesting topic!

On 06/03/2013 10:43 AM, Jennifer Brown wrote:
Google Crazy Horse monument; Wikipedia has some discussion of that sculpture being designed with Crazy Horse pointing. When I first saw that design I thought this might surely be an issue, and it is in some quarters.

I think, from what I’ve read and heard, that Cree and Ojibwe people have seen the gesture as invasive and possibly as connoting a play for power.
But I also recall, as a child of parents of British/ Canadian background, being told that it was rude to point at people.

Jennifer Brown