pointing, not with finger

Adrian Tanner atanner at MUN.CA
Wed Mar 6 17:37:38 UTC 2013

Pointing with the lips is the approved form among James Bay Cree, as
Dick has noted. At the time of my research in the late 60s and early
70s, there were numerous places in particular you were told you should
not point at, or the consequences will be bad. Young children are taught
this, and in the one incident that I witnessed in the bush, an
unexpected storm suddenly arose, because, I was told, a young child had
pointed to a mountain which was subject to this taboo, although the
child was too young to know the rule.

My question is, did the practice arise in animist ideas about offence to
spirits, and extended to pointing in more mundane contexts, or the
reverse, ie that pointing to people was either socially offensive or
associated with sorcery, and the spirits, and places where spirits
reside, were included under the same logic.

Adrian Tanner

--
Regards, Adrian Tanner

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php