pointing, not with finger

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Mar 6 18:18:59 UTC 2013

Amy:

The Navajo point with their lips, as do a group of Navajo-Chiracahua
Apache people on the Alamo Navajo Reservation in western New Mexico. My
sense is that it comes from hunting culture, where pointing with a
finger would give away the location of the hunter whereas pointing with
the lips is subtle.

Michael McCafferty