pointing, not with finger

John Steckley John.Steckley at HUMBER.CA
Wed Mar 6 19:20:54 UTC 2013

Don't you Algonquianists have real work to do, or like me right now, are you avoiding marking

John Steckley
(mainly an Iroquoianist)

From: ALGONQUIANA [mailto:ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Bruce White
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:55 PM
To: ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: pointing, not with finger

In my wife's Irish American family it is considered to be very crude for wait staff in restaurants point the way to the bathroom, so that the quality of the restaurant will be determined by that fact alone. More relevant is that I've heard Dakota people in Minnesota joke about the whole lip-pointing thing. Unfortunately because my Irish-American grandfather was a Methodist minister who loved to point during sermons for emphasis, I have inherited that nasty practice even when speaking with with Dakota and Ojibwe people, much as I have tried to learn Bill Clinton's technique of knuckle pointing.
Bruce White