pointing, not with finger

Conor Quinn conor.mcdonoughquinn at MAINE.EDU
Mon Mar 11 16:39:54 UTC 2013

It's interesting that there's a parallel cross-linguistic pattern of distal
deictics ('that') often having a negative/derogative connotation when used
in reference to people.  This is definitely the case in my dialect of
English ("that person" is fine, but "that" alone is pretty unpleasant), and
forms like Turkish şu 'that' are evidently similar.  So even "words that
point" can sometimes be tied into this system.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Anne-Marie Baraby <baraby.anne-marie at uqam.ca