Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Philip S. LeSourd plesourd at INDIANA.EDU
Wed May 8 01:45:23 UTC 2013

Arok,

Maliseet-Passamaquoddy has diminutive forms of both nouns and verbs,
and it has pejorative forms of nouns. For the diminutive forms, you
might take a look at my paper "Diminutive verb forms in Passamaquoddy"
(IJAL 61:103-134, 1995). Diminutives of nouns are formed with /-is/, or
more commonly with /-hs-is/: Pass. papsko`t 'stove' (stem /papskote-/,
dim. papskote'hsis. Pejoratives are formed with /-hs/ without /-is/:
papsko'tehs 'old stove'. The pejorative forms usually have some
connotation of disrespect. For example, skita'pehs 'man (pej.) (stem
/skitape-; cf. skita`p 'man') is used in an story to designate a man
who is regarded as worthless because of his weak and timid
nature--certainly the term would not be used of a respected elder! The
/hs/ of the pej. ending is realized as /ss/ when it follows a schwa
(written as "o" in Pass. orthography) that is epenthesized after a
consonant-final stem: payosi'hkol 'bicycle', payosi'hkoloss 'old
bicycle'. A final example, showing a plural pejorative form: ni'sonul
papskote'hsol 'two old stoves'.

Phil LeSourd