Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Bill Jancewicz bill_jancewicz at SIL.ORG
Wed May 8 10:46:04 UTC 2013

Hi Arok,

Naskapi [nsk] has both diminutive and pejorative, but diminutive tends to be more productive:

mischin 'shoe'
mischinis 'little shoe'
mischinischiis 'old worn out shoe (good for nothing)'

The pejorative normally applies to inanimate nouns. I have heard that In some related languages it can also be used to describe people (‘my brother, that scoundrel’) but we have not found this to occur in Naskapi. (Yet. Maybe it exists and we don’t hear it much!)

Warmly, Bill J