Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Goddard, Ives GODDARDI at SI.EDU
Wed May 8 13:20:34 UTC 2013

The Delaware facts are outlined in Del. Verbal Morphol. pp. 42, 88-91.  /Sh/ seems to be the pejorative mark in several languages; naturally this would disappear in languages that lack a dsitinctive /sh/ (Plains Cree, Menominee), though some languages have apparently restored the category using additional morphemes (see the Naskapi and Passamaquoddy data in this thread).  As expressive, sound-symbolic morphemes these are subject to renewal resulting in disagreements and irregular correspondences.

Ives

-----Original Message-----
From: ALGONQUIANA [mailto:ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Arok Wolvengrey
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:43 PM
To: ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Greetings.  I'm working on a paper concerning diminutives and pejoratives - and in particular comparing Plains Cree (which lacks a distinct pejorative) and Saulteaux (which has one).  This has me wondering about the distribution of these forms across the Algonquian family.  I'm hoping some of you can comment on the distribution of diminutives versus pejoratives in as many Algonquian languages as possible.  In particular, how widespread are diminutive and pejorative forms?  Is the pejorative restricted just to Ojibwe or do other language have distinct pejoratives?  Thank you for any information you can share.