Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Goddard, Ives GODDARDI at SI.EDU
Thu May 9 13:26:08 UTC 2013

Since Unami /sh/ : Ojibwe /sh/ (i.e. shsh) is not a regular correspondence there's no way to reconstruct a clearcut protoform for these.  (The regular correspondences are Un /sh/ : Oj /zh/; and Oj /sh/ : Un /x/.)  Of course, we can imagine more complex historical connections.
Ives

-----Original Message-----
From: ALGONQUIANA [mailto:ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Arok Wolvengrey
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:55 PM
To: ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Thank you, Ives

I had assumed the diminutive (and its sound symbolism) went back to *PA (and even Proto-Algic), but I wasn't sure about the pejorative.  It would seem to fairly naturally diverge from and/or converge with a diminutive, and both seem to have happened in the history of the Algonquian languages.  Has the pejorative been reconstructed for Proto-Algonquian?

Best,
Arok