Help me fill a pressing need?

Arden Ogg arden.ogg at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 2 23:47:27 UTC 2013

Dear Algonquianists,

I've recently learned that SUNY Press has cited cost in declining to scan the complete back issues of the Papers of the Algonquian Conference. I don't know if they are referring to the cost of buying a complete set, the cost of paying someone to use the scanner, or the cost of housing the dataset online, but I'm certain that I'm not alone in my impatience for this resource in electronic form.

It seems that those who possess full runs of the series are (collectively) reluctant to part with them, so I am writing to ask each of you (i.e., everyone else!) whether you might be able to part with a volume or two in order to help me assemble a complete se to scan. Perhaps we'll even discover someone on the verge of retirement who might appreciate the chance to downsize their personal library for the greater good.

Jeff Muehlbauer (now at Brandon University) has offered the use of his industrial-strength scanner, and once we have a complete scanned set assembled, we can arrange to have the set housed online at Brandon, or perhaps Rand can arrange an online home for the collection at Madison.

For now, I want to thank Dick Preston for volunteering a number of his personal copies, to which I have added some copies of my own. Between us, we have assembled 11 volumes to de-spine and scan (with Jeff's help) the next time I'm in Brandon.

I've provided a table below that shows the volumes we have right now. Please write to me directly: arden.ogg at gmail.com and let me know what volumes you might be able to give. I will accept the first of each volume number offered, and provide my mailing address to anyone else who has another volume or two to add to the set.

I regret that I'm unable to help with postage and shipping costs: I will be paying my own expenses to travel to Brandon to do the scanning.

Many thanks to each of you for considering this request, even those who can't bear to part with their books. It's gratifying to know the books are still valued and used. For anyone else who's able: Please help me make this important body of research available to the new generation of scholars.

Very best,

...Arden Ogg
(Past) Coordinating Editor, Papers of the Algonquian Conference
(Current) Director, Cree Literacy Network (http://www.creeliteracy.org)

Vol/Donor
7
8	 Ogg