Help me fill a pressing need?

Marguerite MacKenzie mmackenz at MUN.CA
Sun Nov 3 01:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi Arden - I'm sorry to say that I had offered my whole collection to Rand
for this purpose a few years ago, but as I never heard from him again, I
give it to Will Oxford, who I doubt will want to part with it

Marguerite

From: ALGONQUIANA [mailto:ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf
Of Arden Ogg
Sent: November-02-13 9:17 PM
To: ALGONQUIANA at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Help me fill a pressing need?

Dear Algonquianists,

I've recently learned that SUNY Press has cited cost in declining to scan
the complete back issues of the Papers of the Algonquian Conference. I don't
know if they are referring to the cost of buying a complete set, the cost of
paying someone to use the scanner, or the cost of housing the dataset
online, but I'm certain that I'm not alone in my impatience for this
resource in electronic form.

It seems that those who possess full runs of the series are (collectively)
reluctant to part with them, so I am writing to ask each of you (i.e.,
everyone else!) whether you might be able to part with a volume or two in
order to help me assemble a complete se to scan. Perhaps we'll even discover
someone on the verge of retirement who might appreciate the chance to
downsize their personal library for the greater good.

Jeff Muehlbauer (now at Brandon University) has offered the use of his
industrial-strength scanner, and once we have a complete scanned set
assembled, we can arrange to have the set housed online at Brandon, or
perhaps Rand can arrange an online home for the collection at Madison.

For now, I want to thank Dick Preston for volunteering a number of his
personal copies, to which I have added some copies of my own. Between us, we
have assembled 11 volumes to de-spine and scan (with Jeff's help) the next
time I'm in Brandon.

I've provided a table below that shows the volumes we have right now. Please
write to me directly: arden.ogg at gmail.com and let me know what volumes you
might be able to give. I will accept the first of each volume number
offered, and provide my mailing address to anyone else who has another
volume or two to add to the set.

I regret that I'm unable to help with postage and shipping costs: I will be
paying my own expenses to travel to Brandon to do the scanning.

Many thanks to each of you for considering this request, even those who
can't bear to part with their books. It's gratifying to know the books are
still valued and used. For anyone else who's able: Please help me make this
important body of research available to the new generation of scholars.

Very best,

...Arden Ogg

(Past) Coordinating Editor, Papers of the Algonquian Conference

(Current) Director, Cree Literacy Network (http://www.creeliteracy.org)

Vol/Donor
7

8