testing proficiency

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Wed Nov 13 14:13:27 UTC 2013

Good morning,

I was talking to some of the people who work on Menominee language revitalization last week, and they were talking about how they need some sort of tool for testing the proficiency of their teachers.  Since this is way out of my area of expertise, I said I'd ask around.  Do any of you know anything about this?

It would seem to me that any such tool would have to be specialized to work for Algonquian languages (and more specifically in this case tailored for Menominee).  I mean, you would have to know whether or not to test things like conjunct order, right?

And one further point:  such an evaluation would ideally (I would think) be tied to a curriculum - another thing they're working on.  But is it possible to do any kind of testing without that?

Thanks for any leads or hints you can give me.

- Monica

Monica Macaulay
Department of Linguistics
University of Wisconsin