Swampy Cree, East Cree and Ojibwe terms for spider, spiderweb and net charm

Bill Jancewicz bill_jancewicz at SIL.ORG
Wed Apr 16 04:35:01 UTC 2014

Hi, George

Our experience in Naskapi agrees with Kevin Brousseau's regarding the use of dreamcatchers. Lots of people make them to sell in the arts & craft shop, and the younger generation likes them to decorate with. But the elders do not attach any particular cultural significance to them.

"Spider" in Naskapi is ᑲᒥᒐᑎᒂᑕᑦ  kaamiihchaatikwaataat, but ᐊᐃᐱᒐᓱᐤ aahipiichaasuw is not unknown either.

Naskapi syllabic orthography does not mark vowel length, roman orthography does, with double vowels.

No "net charms" here either, except on items made for the tourist or home decorating trade.

Bill Jancewicz