CoLang - Innu!

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Thu Apr 24 14:01:45 UTC 2014

Hello Algonquianists,

Just a note to call your attention to CoLang (http://www.uta.edu/faculty/cmfitz/swnal/projects/CoLang/), and the fact that I’ll be teaching a field methods course (June 30-July 25) using Innu - I am so fortunate to have met two young Innu women who are willing to work with us as consultants.  I’m super excited about this, and hope that some of you are able to come.

Here’s the blurb for the course:

This course is an introduction to linguistic field methods. We will work with two speakers of the Algonquian language Innu, eliciting and analyzing data from all areas of grammar. In addition to methods of elicitation, instruction will include such topics as transcribing, managing, and organizing data; and ethical, social, and cultural issues in fieldwork.  IMPORTANT: Prospective students are asked not to do any research or reading on the structure of the language in advance. We will at least begin with the classic field methods approach of treating the language as undescribed. At some point in the semester this ban may be lifted.

- Monica