Dealing with emotional consequences of historical trauma in the language classroom

Conor Quinn conor.mcdonoughquinn at MAINE.EDU
Sun Mar 2 20:45:05 UTC 2014

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

One of the harshest aspects of language endangerment that I've seen is that
each generation gets slapped with shame no matter which way they go.  The
speaker generations get made to be ashamed for speaking their supposedly
inferior (etc.) language, while the non-speaker generations get made to be
ashamed for not being able to speak their heritage language.  And people
who are somewhere between completely fluent and completely non-speaker get
shame(d) for not speaking it well enough.

The first kind of shame is the one that gets the most attention in language
revitalization circles, but the latter two are just as pervasive and
painful for those who experience it.  And it's quite possible to experience
all three at once, and/or in different combinations.

The last two strongly influence learner success and persistence.  If you
feel that (despite all the historical, social, etc. pressures outside of
your control), you somehow "should" already know language, then it puts an
enormous amount of pressure on you: "If I don't learn the language, I won't
be [fill-in-the-blank] enough...AND it will disappear."  This makes every
stumble in learning the language even more fraught than it already is for
any second-language learner.  Which very often can be overwhelming, and
drive people away completely.

So it's probably helpful to have these three kinds of shame brought up and
out front, so that everyone  can feel a lot safer.

Particularly since these feelings are most often experienced very
individually.  That there's something wrong with ME, that it's MY
deficiency.  Having that public/group acknowledgement that all of us are
also going through one or more of these shames can help a lot.  We're no
longer individually isolated in them, and can work together to help each
other find good ways to keep them from holding us back.

This also helps these three different groups work together better.  If I'm
a speaker with shame type #1, and you are a learner with shame type #2, we
both might not fully understand what's worrying the other person when we go
to speak the language.  Since what holds us back might be really quite
different.

This public acknowledgement is perhaps most important for
intermediate-status speakers.  It gets mentioned, but it still doesn't
really get addressed nearly enough how often people who are not 100%
perfectly fluent get shamed and scared out of speaking by the more fluent
speakers.  Not just the really harsh language policers---who very often
call those speakers lazy/inattentive, not realizing that they were never
given the same degree and quality of exposure to the language---but even
people who just let themselves laugh at these speakers' errors.

These reactions terribly reliably drive great potential speakers back to
the safer space of the dominating language.  We can't ask all the fluent
speakers to "please be nicer to and less judgmental of the less fluent
speakers", but precisely because of that, it's that much more crucial to
set up and constantly work to maintain safe places for them to speak what
they can.

Public/group discussion of this range of feelings---helping people work
their way to finally feeling that they really do have nothing to be ashamed
of, and in fact plenty to be proud of---is, as far as I can tell, probably
not just a good idea, but really essential.

Till later, keep safe and sane.

Slán,
do chara