[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Conor Quinn conor.mcdonoughquinn at maine.edu
Wed Nov 19 22:10:18 UTC 2014

Oh, and from the phonological side, it's worth noting the similarities of
contrastive pitch-accent (albeit from radically different sources), and
otherwise similar consonant inventories, N. Iroquian antilabialism
notwithstanding.

(Absence of contrastive voicing in obstruents---and a fairly systematic
surface alternation between semi-to-full voicing of singleton intervocalic
obstruents, vs. reliable voicelessness in clusters---as well as contrastive
coda laryngeals, heavy functional load on /kʷ/, and a single liquid with no
rhotic/lateral distinction---are all actually not particularly rare
typological properties.  But the shared complex of these is likely an
areal-contact feature.)

Alongside general strongly iambic typology (esp. with rich initial
consonant cluster formation, and open penult lengthening) "invisible
vowels" in the sense of Michelson, LeSourd, and Hagstrom are also an
important shared feature.

And one more non-phonological bit: the systematic equivalent to Medializer
elements (i.e. the "nominalizer" required in much N. Iroquoian noun
incorporation) is also a strikingly similarity, but this may reflect a
semi-universal, depending on your model of the various types of noun
incorporation.  That, and boy do these languages love lexical reflexives,
diminutives, and relative-root-like constructions.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Conor Quinn <conor.mcdonoughquinn at maine.edu