[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 20 17:54:56 UTC 2014

Thank you so much, Ives, for your comments and, at least for me,
clearing away some of the fog.

What I just cannot wrap my head around, though, is how a sound in one
language can influence the sound system of totally unrelated language.
All I can get at is that women from one language group married into or
were captured by another group speaking an unrelated language, and in
learning the unrelated language use sounds that were in their native
language that over time get adopted into the sound system of their
husbands. Is this the mechanism for this transfer?

Michael