[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at wisc.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:58:41 UTC 2014

There’s a nice quote from Weinreich that I’ve always liked, on this topic:  “The locus of language contact is in the mind of the bilingual.”  When I was an undergrad I kind of imagined these two clouds, Language A and Language B, and then magically they touched, and shared features.  Well, no.  ;-)  That contact is in the mind of the bilingual, or even better, in the minds of a bunch of them.