[Algonquiana] Algonquian terms for Siouan peoples

Wolvengrey, Arok awolvengrey at firstnationsuniversity.ca
Sat Jan 16 19:51:20 UTC 2016

Hi Ryan,

The Cree do indeed tend to use pwât- (sg. pwâta, plural pwâtak) for Siouan peoples, generally Dakota(/Lakota). One of the names for the Assiniboine (Nakoda) is asinîwipwât(ak), a direct cognate with Ojibwe asinibwaan (and hence Assiniboine.  Even though "Ouachipouennes" was recorded as coming from a Cree interpreter, it doesn't sound as if it is a (fully) Cree form, since the ending suggests -pwaan rather than -pwât.  This initial element could well be derived from wât- "hole" (sg: wâti), with palatalization and hence somethig like *wâcipwâ(n).  Others can comment on the use of that and/or the initial element, as I am not sure if it is used in Ojibwe.  In any case, this is not a term I have heard used in Cree for the Mandan.  I have only heard the construction kâ-otasiskîwikamikowak "those who have earth(clay) lodges".

Rushing here, so I'll leave it at that for the moment, but if I uncover/remember other Cree names for Siouan groups, I'll add them.

ᐋᐧᐱ ᑭᐦᐃᐤ
Arok Wolvengrey
Professor, Algonquian Languages and Linguistics and
Department Head of Indigenous Languages, Arts and Cultures
First Nations University of Canada
1 First Nations Way
Regina, SK   S4S 7K2

phone:  (306) 790-5950 ext. 3310