[Algonquiana] Algonquian terms for Siouan peoples

Wolvengrey, Arok awolvengrey at firstnationsuniversity.ca
Sun Jan 17 19:06:39 UTC 2016

Thanks, Kees, I knew there was something fichy about the spelling that I was missing ...

I was also going to add that the Cree name I cited for Mandan, (kâ-)otasiskîwikamikowak, could also be applied to the Hidatsa.

kâhkâkiwaciyiniwak "raven/crow people" are the Crow.

pâwistikowiyiniwak "people of the rapids or people of the falls" is the Cree name for the Gros Ventres/Atsina.

There is also a fairly obscure term, possibly recorded by Kelsey, "Naywatamee Poets" which has been debated as to its actual referent and perhaps others can clarify this?  Some have suggested it may have referred to the Hidatsa or some other Siouan group, as seems certain from the inclusion of Poet(s) (pwât(ak)), but it might have been a variant name for the Assiniboine or even a mixed Cree-Assiniboine group such as Piapot's (payipwât) people, nêhiyawipwâtak (Cree-Sioux) (Piapot's Reserve is known as nêhiyawipwâtinâhk "among the Cree-Sioux/Cree-Assiniboine" or Cree-Sioux/Cree-Assinboine territory).

Best,

ᐋᐧᐱ ᑭᐦᐃᐤ
Arok Wolvengrey
Professor, Algonquian Languages and Linguistics and
Department Head of Indigenous Languages, Arts and Cultures
First Nations University of Canada
1 First Nations Way
Regina, SK   S4S 7K2

phone:  (306) 790-5950 ext. 3310