[Algonquiana] Fwd: Workshop on negation

MONICA MACAULAY mmacaula at wisc.edu
Sat Jan 20 13:51:45 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

This is extremely short notice, but I thought maybe someone on this list might be interested…

- Monica

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se<mailto:ljuba at ling.su.se>>
Subject: Workshop on negation
Date: January 18, 2018 at 9:50:10 AM CST
To: Monica Macaulay <mmacaula at wisc.edu<mailto:mmacaula at wisc.edu>>, Matti Miestamo <matti.miestamo at helsinki.fi<mailto:matti.miestamo at helsinki.fi>>

Dear Monica,

We met years ago around the LINGUIST List and then correposponded about Mixtec, not sure that you will remember me at all.

The reason I am writing now is that Matti Miestamo and I are organizing a workshop on negation at the upcoming Syntax of World's Languages conference, which is to take place in Paris, September 3-5. Our idea is to achieve detailed and comparable descriptions of negation in as many languages as possible; we intend to use an extended version of Miestamo's negation questionnaire.

The workshop will be followed by a peer reviewed publication of an edited volume. We are also exploring the possibilities for an online publication which will enable us to add more descriptions of individual languages long after the volume has been published and thus ensure the growth and logevity of the initiative. The first call for went to various lists back in December; here is a link to it at the LINGUIST List:

https://linguistlist.org/issues/28/28-5328.html#1

The deadline for abstract submission is January 31, 2018.

I realize you most probably don't have time to delve into this but I thought I'd ask if you knew of someone who works on Alquonquian or other Native languages of North America and would be interested to take part. My question is about workshop participation in the first place. However, if the person(s) in question are not able to come to the workshop but are still interested in contributing to the volume, they should still get in touch with either me or Matti.

Many thanks in advance.

My best wishes,

Ljuba

Ljuba Veselinova, Associate Professor
Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-8-16-2332 Fax: +46-8-15 5389
URL  : http://www.ling.su.se/ljuba.veselinova

"We learn by going where we want to go."
                                          Julia Cameron