[Algonquiana] Query

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Wed Sep 19 18:43:51 UTC 2018

I am trying to find the origin of a vast number of Canadian place names
based on the term Mile or Mille in French. E.G. Lac du Sept Mille and Ten
Mile Lake. Some hints indicate that it could be a translation of an
Alonguian place name. Tom Rankin listed Lac Sept Milles = Nijiwàsotibahig
Sàgahigan (lit. 'lac sept milles') in his list of Algonquin names for
Commission de toponymie du Québec in 1995.

Do any of you know of a term in any Algonquian language referring to a
measure of length as the one expressed by Nijiwàsotibahig ?
In the affirmative what is that word ?
And does anyone know how I could get in touch with Tom Rankin ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Danielle E. Cyr
Dr. Danielle E. Cyr, Senior Scholar at York University & Research Associate
at the Mi'gmawei Mawiomi Secretariat
339, boul. Perron ouest
New Richmond, QC,  G0C 2BO
dcyr at yorku.ca - 418.392.7271