[Algonquiana] Question for a translation (Anicinabe)

Anne Lindsay malindsay at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 24 19:32:51 UTC 2019

This database might be helpful, too?

[ http://naeb.brit.org/ | http://naeb.brit.org/ ]

Best
Anne Lindsay

From: "Robert Brightman" <rbrightm at reed.edu>
To: algonquiana at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:30:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Algonquiana] Question for a translation (Anicinabe)

H.H. Smith's//Ethnobotany of the Ojibwe Indians //gives osaga'tikum
(presumably /oz/ . . . ?; circumflex on last two vowels) for /Osmorhiza
//l//ongistylis/, but latter doesn't fit the description. You might look
also in Densmore's ethnobotany, back in print as /Strength of the
Earth/. Potawatomi nomenclature has high inter-individual homonymy and
synonymy, and so perhaps with Ojibwe across communities and dialects.
Good hunting.

Best,

Rob Brightman