ALT News No. 39

Johan van der Auwera auwera at chello.be
Tue Jul 11 06:42:15 UTC 2006

ALT News No. 39
July 2006

1. ALT VII, Paris 2007
2. ALT VIII, Berkeley 2009
3. Contact information

1. ALT VII, Paris 2007

In previous ALT conferences we have had difficulties in assessing the
relative merits of workshops and individual papers, and in knowing in
advance how much time within the program to assign to workshops. For the
upcoming Paris conference we therefore decided to assign two workshop
slots, and call for proposals in advance of the call for individual
papers. This would then allow papers from unsuccessful workshop
proposals to be submitted as individual papers - and, if enough on a
particular theme are then successful, they will be scheduled in thematic
blocks.

Following our call for workshop proposals earlier this year, four were
received. Since two of them involved people also on the program
committee, we set up a special committee to evaluate them, all members
of which had no connection with any of the workshop proposals. This
committee was made up of the following people: Johan van der Auwera,
Nick Evans, Ekkehard König, Brian Migliazza, Marianne Mithun, Edith
Moravcsik. David Gil, Chair of the Program Committee, collated the
results but did not himself give scores.
The results of this committee are now in and the following two proposals
scored highest and will be incorporated into the Paris conference. Both
deal with relatively neglected areas of linguistic typology.

Information Structure (Organizers: Bernard Comrie, M.M. Jocelyne
Fernandez-Vest)

Lexical Typology (Organizers: Maria Koptjevskaja-Tamm, Martine Vanhove)

This was a difficult decision, since  all four proposals were excellent,
and we hope that papers from the other two workshops will be resubmitted
to the conference for assessment as individual papers.

Nick Evans

2. ALT VIII, Berkeley 2009

ALT VIII will be held at the University of California, Berkeley in July
2009.  Exact dates are still to be confirmed, but we have requested July
24-27. The meeting will be held during the LSA Summer Linguistics
Institute, also hosted by UC Berkeley, and we are working with the
International Cognitive Linguistics Conference organizers to have the
ALT and ICLC meetings back to back.

Johanna Nichols
Larry Hyman

3. Contact information

Members will see their contact information at

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fss/organisations/alt/namelist.htm

Members are requested to notify changes to Peter Kahrel and Johan van
der Auwera. An ordinary e-mail message will do; the join form should not
be used to that purpose.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Nick Evans[President]
Linguistics
University of Melbourne                tel +61 3 8344 8988
Parkville Victoria                     fax +61 3 8344 8990
Australia
E-mail:                                 nrd at unimelb.edu.au

Frans Plank [Editor-in-chief, Linguistic Typology]
Sprachwissenschaft
Universität Konstanz
D-78457 Konstanz                   tel + 49 7531 88 26 56
Germany                            fax + 49 7531 88 27 41
E-mail:                       frans.plank at uni-konstanz.de

Johan van der Auwera [Secretary-Treasurer]
Linguistiek
Universiteit Antwerpen
B-2610 Antwerpen                     tel + 32 3 820 27 76
Belgium                              fax + 32 3 820 27 62
E-mail:                       johan.vanderauwera at ua.ac.be

On the WEB:  http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fss/organisations/alt/
Webmaster : Peter Kahrel         p.kahrel at lancaster.ac.uk