glottals

potetjp potetjp at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 8 18:29:59 UTC 1999

Just a few modest remarks in relation to Daniel's message.
1) I must explain I do not see the final phone [q] as the realization of  a
phoneme /q/ but of the phoneme /h/. Yes, my opinion is that the Tagalog
phoneme /h/ is realized as [h] in the initial, post-consonantic and
intervocalic positions, and as [q] (the glottal stop) in the final position.
2) Daniel's opinion that "it seems easier to consider [the final glottal
stop in Tagalog] as a quality of the final vowel rather than a regular
consonant" must have been that of the Spanish clerical linguists because
they never resolved to represent it with a consonantic letter, but with an
accent - generally the acute accent, but sometimes the grave or the
circumflex - probably  under the influence of Greek studies - so that I
eventually came to the conclusion these scholars regarded the final glottal
stop as part of the word prosody or its melody, not its consonantic
template.
    Although I do not share this view, I am not averse to contemplating this
possibility for I find it quite interesting. If I understand Danny well - he
is the only one who can answer, his worthy predecessors being all dead now -
the final glottal stop is part of the vowel, say, the way _h_ is part of
the realization [ph-] of Eng. /p/ in "pit" as opposed to [p-] in "spit" and
[-p] in "tip", or /t/ > [th] in "tip", or /k/ > [kh-] in "kill" etc.
3) Interestingly enough, in his _The Tagalog Language_ (1902)_ Constantino
LENDOYRO deplores the fact that the Spanish monks didn't add the final H:
"The importance of appending _h_ to a final sharply-accented vowel does not
seem to have happened to their minds, nor they seemed [did they seem] to
realize the simplicity resulting from writing _gandah_, _batoh_ etc. instead
of _ganda_, _bato_ etc." (see the original for Lendoyro's accents, which are
quite odd).
4) I have only two Spanish loanwords of CVC-CVq type: Span. [ban]co > Tag.
ban[koq] "bench" and Span. [pa]tio > Tag. _pat[yoq]_  > _pa[tyoq]_ (TY
realized as CH in English) "inner yard".
Jean-Paul
PS. Just let me know if you are interested in my little corpus of Sanskrit
loanwords in Tagalog. The glosses and explanations are in French, but this
should be no great problem with a dictionary.