still looking for Wallace reference

Fay Wouk f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 14 05:46:11 UTC 1999

I'm looking for an article by Stephen Wallace about Jakarta Malay (Betawi)
about verb morphology of the focus system in which he shows that there is a
preference for the nasal form in certain transitive verbs.

Thanks to those who responded. I have checked the suggested references, and
the topic is definitely not discussed in the following works.

 Wallace, Stephen. 1979. Voice, mode, or aspect? The semantics of the
                verbal inflection in Jarkarta Malay. In Contributions to
                Grammatical Studies: Syntax and Semantics (= Cornell Linguistic
                Contributions, Vol. II), ed. by Linda R. Waugh & Frans Van
                Coetsem. Leiden: E. J. Brill.

        _______. 1982. Figure and ground: the interrelationships of linguistic
                categories. In Tense-Aspect: Between Semantics and Pragmatics,
                ed. by Paul J. Hopper. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

          _______. 1977 Social correlates of phonological differences in Malay,
                Nusa 3:27-34.

If anyone knows of any other possible places (besides the unpublished
dissertation, which is not here in Auckland and will take me a while to get
hold of a copy of) where this might be found, please let me know.

Also, does anyone know where Wallace himself is these days?

thanks,
Fay

Fay Wouk
Lecturer in Linguistics
Dept. of Anthropology, University of Auckland, New Zealand
few at antnov1.auckland.ac.nz