Madurese aspirates

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE
Mon Mar 15 10:32:36 UTC 1999

> Pursuing an inquiry from the Indo-European list, can anybody give me
> a brief but authoritative statement as to the historical origin of
> the voiced aspirated stops in Madurese, or point me to somewhere this
> has been discussed? Thanks.

Ross, Madurese has:

                     b < *w    bh < *b
                     D < *D    dh < *d
                               gh < *g

where Mad. D is retroflex "d", *D was probably not a stop in immediate
pre-Madurese. The general picture is that pre-Madurese voiced stops
became aspirated voiced stops, whereas Madurese unaspirated voiced
stops originate either from voiced continuents or from relatively late
borrowing. See:

   Nothofer, Bernd, 1975, the Reconstruction of Proto-Malayo-Javanic,
      Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en
      Volkenkunde 73. 's-Gravenhage: Nijhoff.

   Stevens, Alan M., 1966, The Madurese Reflexes of Proto-Malayo-Polynesian,
      Journal of the American Oriental Society 86:147-156

It is noteworthy that a tendency to shift voiced stops to aspirated,
and to develop new voiced stops from continuents can be seen as a
frequent feature of languages of mainland SE Asia, distributed
across boundaries of genetic affiliations. At a subsequent stage,
the aspirated voiced stops could lose voice to become aspirated
voiceless stops in some of the languages.

Regards,   Waruno

Waruno Mahdi                  tel:   +49 30 8413-5411
Faradayweg 4-6                fax:   +49 30 8413-3155
14195 Berlin                  email: mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Germany                       WWW:   http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/~wm/