Honorific/respect use of 1pl prons as 2sg

lnmdh at cc.newcastle.edu.au lnmdh at cc.newcastle.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 05:58:47 UTC 1999

I am doing some work on pronominals in Australian Aboriginal languages, and
one of the issues that I interested in is the honorific/respect use of 1pl
pronouns with 2sg  reference. I am interested in finding parallels of this
usage in non-Australian languages. Among Austronesian languages, Buginese
uses  the 1pl pronoun as a 2sg respect register form. However, Buginese does
not distinguish inclusive from exclusive in the 1pl. I was wondering if
there was any Austronesian language which had distinct inclusive and
exclusive 1pl pronouns which used one (presumably the inclusive?) as a 2sg
respect register form?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Mark Harvey
Mark Harvey

Linguistics
University of Newcastle