Austronesian words for seahorse (Hippocampus spp.)

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Sat May 8 03:36:44 UTC 1999

Dear Bruce,

I've looked farther afield that you (at Austronesian as a whole) without
success.  The general principal for flora and fauna seems to be that if it
was economically useful or dangerous it was named, and the more useful or
dangerous the more stable the name historically.  The hippocampus is a
curiosity to those of us familiar with horses, but probably didn't hold
much interest for Austronesian-speaking peoples.

Bob