hippocampi

Bill Palmer palmer_b at VANUATU.USP.AC.FJ
Mon May 10 00:46:36 UTC 1999

Dear all

I can identify seahorse terms in two New Georgia group (North-West
Solomonic) languages: Roviana (Waterhouse's 1949 dictionary) and Marovo
(Hviding, E, 1990, "Draft environmental dictionary, Marovo Lagoon.")

Roviana:

mimila basioto "a species of Hippocampus or Sea-horse"

Marovo:

kokonini "Seahorse; Hippopus spp."

Bill Palmer
Pacific Languages Unit