*sarampang* 'to break'

Phil Quick Phil.Quick at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 17 22:33:18 UTC 1999

Danny and other Austronesian friends,

I was quite surprised to see this lexical word appear.  In Pendau (a
language in the Tomini-Tolitoli group of Central Sulawesi, Indonesia) the
word <sarampang> has a different meaning.  It means:  "a 2-pronged barbed
fishing spear".

Also I note in my dictionary database <sarapong> which means:  "a 7-pronged
barbless fishing spear".
Also:  <paringa>  "3-pronged barbed fishing spear"

I won't list the other kinds of fishing spears (and words for barbs, etc.)
unless someone else would like to know.

Sincerely,

Phil Quick