*serampan* in Yokohama Pidgin English

Daniel Long dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
Sun Nov 21 10:27:41 UTC 1999

The information about _senapan_ is very interesting.   It sounds like the best
bet for the origin of the Yokohama "pistol" term.  The Yokohama Pidgin was
relatively short-lived and probably was unstable in the sense of having some
degree of interpersonal variation.  It seems to me quite likely that the two
terms simply got mixed up, either by the people using the Pidgin in general,
or by the (English) author of the text I have.  Incidentally, I know of only
one additional supporting text, and it lists _serampang_ for the 'wrecked
ship' but doesn't mention a word for pistol.   The loans may have been
mediated by Chinese and undergone a sound change there, but a simple mix-up
seems likely.

Danny Long

--
Daniel Long, Associate Professor     tel  +81-426-77-2184
Japanese Language and Literature Dept.    fax  +81-426-77-2140
mailto:dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
http://nihongo.human.metro-u.ac.jp/long/