SiamTag1

potetjp potetjp at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 27 12:53:51 UTC 1999

Waruno,
    You are quite right about periodization. It would be difficult for any
reasonable person to disagree with you.  All the informations you add are
really precious. Let me just add a few details about minor questions.
    We dont know the original site of the Tagalogs. Their name is
interesting. Tradition has it - at least since the 19th-Century - that it
means "ripuarian": _taga-_ "native of" + , _[i]log _"river" . The only snag
is  that  the sequence /ai/  generally follows the development / a+i  >  ai
>  e  > i /; so we should have _*Taga[il]log_  or _*Ta[gi]log_ , not
_Ta[ga]log_.  To ensure the _taga- + ilog_ etymology , authors used the name
_Tagailog _ during the revolutionary period at the end of the 19th-Century.
    To me, _Tagailog_ is a false etymolgy because there does exist the
radical _[a]log_ "to wade, a ford", and I think the right etymology is
_taga-_ + _alog_ >  tagalog "vadean", in so far as / aa > a / can account
for the current form.
    In conclusion., iIf Tagalog means "ripuarian", then they must have
settled along a river or on a river - and this river could well be the Pasig
that waters Manila -, not along the sea or on the sea. Conversely if Tagalog
means "vadean", they can't have settled first near the Pasig, which is not
fordable;  they may have settled in the marshes North of Manila or near a
ford a bit further north.
    Best regards

P.S. Returning to the contact theme, I have made a two-page list of Tagalog
terms compared to Siamese ones collected on various occasions. The common
item between the two words of a pair is a monosyllabic root, not a
disyllabic radical. I gave this document to Ferlus, Sagart  and Starosta  a
year ago, and to Thurgood  last week. Now several other colleagues might be
interested in it so I thought it best to attach the first page to this
message, and the second page to the following message that is blank.