geminates

Abigail Cohn acc4 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 9 11:49:11 UTC 2000

While some phonologists assume that geminates and long consonants are the
same thing, many others don't.  In fact there is both phonological and
phonetic evidence supporting a distinction.  In a recent dissertation,
Phonetic and Phonological Aspects of Geminate Timing, Bill Ham addresses
this question from both a phonological and phonetic point of view
(available from the Cornell Linguistic Circle publications at
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/linguistics/clcpubs/dissertations.html).

Not only might the timing of the segments themselves be different, other
aspects of phonetic timing are organized in a different way in the case of
geminates. The dissertation is cross-linguistic in nature, but does include
a detailed acoustic study of the geminates in Madurese.

Abby Cohn
Cornell University