geminates

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Fri Apr 21 02:45:11 UTC 2000

Dear all,

I've just returned from three weeks in Taiwan and Malaysia, and am a bit
late with this, but here it is anyway.

Adrian Clynes mentions that `Some languages of the Baram (north
Sarawak) are said to have phonemically long consonants, however the
evidence in some cases at least suggests that they instead allow sequences
of identical consonants, probably only hetero-syllabically.'

Such consonants have been reported for Berawan in the following
publications:

Blust, Robert.  1992.  The long consonants of Long Terawan.  Bijdragen tot
de taal-, land- en volkenkunde 148:409-427.

Blust, Robert.  1995.  Notes on Berawan consonant gemination.  Oceanic
Linguistics 34:123-138.

Garcia-Bellido, Paloma and Beatrice Clayre.  1996.  Prosodic constraints
and representations in the Berawan word.  Ms. 35 pp.

Contrary to what Clynes suggests, these are true geminates --- that is,
tautosyllabic segments which function as syllable onsets.  This analysis
if specifically addressed by Garcia-Bellido and Clayre, who present
several arguments for favoring it over the hetero-syllabic alternative.

Kiput, spoken at the confluence of the Tutoh with the Baram, also has
tautosyllabic geminates which function as syllable onsets.

Bob Blust