*hagug* / tumpline use distribution

Gary Heathcote zinjman at uog9.uog.edu
Wed Aug 16 14:33:49 UTC 2000

Hafa Ada'i, and apologies for the cross-posting.

A large plaited carrying basket, called a *hagug*, was described
and illustrated by Louis de Freycinet, as an outcome (based on sight or
recall, is not clear to me, at present) of his stopover in Guam and the
Marianas in 1819.  While the size of the basket suggests that it was used
to carry loads on the back, I don't know how the
basket was secured/worn, nor do I know whether
a tumpline was used for support. [FYI, a reproduction of this illustration
appears in Scott Russell's _Tiempon I Manmofo'na: Ancient Chamorro Culture
and Hisotry of the Northern Mariana Islands_. Micronesian Archaeological
Survey Report No. 32.  Saipan: Division of Historic Preservation.  1998,
p. 211.]

The term *hagug* is not in the Topping et al. Chamorro-English dictionary,
not surprisingly, as the basket was described by Freycinet as
having been used for carrying supplies and food during itmes of war.

I am interested in hearing from colleagues about cognates of *hagug* and
their specific
meanings in other AN languages.

Relatedly, I would like more information about the distribution of/terms
for tumpline use in transporting heavy loads on backs in SE Asia and
Oceania.  (Is there a PAN or other 'proto-' reconstruction for tumpline?)
It is said to have a sporadic
distribution, and to be found mostly in 'Melanesia'.   Are there instances
of use in 'Polynesia' and 'Micronesia'?   What sort of distribution is
there in SE Asia??

Thank you for your indulgence.

Gary Heathcote
Anthropology Resource & Research Center