rat and buffalo

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Wed Aug 16 20:27:06 UTC 2000

Jean-Paul,

You got it right when you said your imagination is running wild.  Tagalog
/kalabaw/ is a Malay loanword, ultimately from a Mon-Khmer source.  You
can find the evidence for PMP *balabaw in my Austronesian Comparative
Dictionary.  There is no connection, and certainly no corroboration for
Dyen's quite independent remark, which needs to be evaluated on its own
merits.

Bob Blust