kalabaw

potetjp potetjp at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 4 16:15:25 UTC 2000

"The immediate intermediary probably was something like _*kerebau_. There
are several examples of borrowings from Malay into other languages
(particularly in Kalimantan), showing reflexes of an anaptyctic schwa where
the nuclear Malay form has an internal consonant cluster. Beside in reflexes
of _kerbau_ (that look as if the donor had had _*kerebau_) there are similar
reflexes of e.g. _kersik_ "sand", which look as if the precursor had been
_*keresik_, etc. Also in Sumatra: the name of the port city of Perlak,
etymologically going back to a word meaning "garden" already attested in Old
Malay
epigraphy of the Sri Vijaya period as _parlak_ (if I remember correctly),
and referred to by Marco Polo as _Ferlec_, is called _Peureulak_ by the
indigenous Achehnese, where _eu_ is a digraph spelling an unrounded mid-high
back vowel."

Waruno,
Starting from these precious pieces of information that resume and complete
earlier message from you, can we date when _*kerebau_ may have been in use?
Don't lose sight of the fact that my problem with the Tagalog word _kalabáw_
is that it was unrecorded in dictionaries published in the 17th and 18th
centuries.
Best
Jean-Paul