Polynesian

Jacob F Fitisemanu kdragon20 at juno.com
Sat Dec 9 08:08:42 UTC 2000

Does anyone know if there are any noted Oceanic cognates or equivalents
of the Tongan "fahu" and Fijian "vasu?" Both terms refer to the western
Polynesian/ melanesian custom of elevating a sister's rank above that of
the men of the family, and extending the accompanying special privileges
and status to a sister's children as well. While not phonetic or
cognative similar, the closest word we can find in Samoan is "ilamutu"
which refers to the respect and privilege paid to a sister's children.
Though the same custom is found in Fiji, Tonga, and Samoa (and assumably
in other Oceanic societies) we can't seem to find any linguistically
similar terms for the "vasu/ fahu." Thanks for anything helpful.
Jake Fitisemanu and friends