Call for papers: FAITS DE LANGUES issue

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 18 01:58:56 UTC 2000

Any responses to this message should be sent to  Elizabeth Zeitoun
<hsez at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw>, not to Malcolm Ross.

FAITS DE LANGUES - AUSTRONESIAN LANGUAGES
Editors of the volume: Jacqueline de la Fontinelle, Elizabeth Zeitoun

CALL FOR PAPERS

During the past few years, the French linguistic journal _Faits de
Langue_ -- edited  by Mary-Annick Morel and Laurent Danon-Boileau --
has been publishing a series of  volumes dedicated to the description
of specific linguistic areas. One of the forthcoming  volumes will
deal with the Austronesian languages. In order to bring linguists
together, we are now making this call for paper.

As editors of the present volume, we hope that this book will provide
an overview  as complete as possible concerning the research on
Austronesian languages. That's the  reason why we would like to
include (we are aware of our limits, though):
(a)	as many languages as possible
(b)	specific linguistic facts which characterize the Austronesian languages
(c)	different empirical and theorical perspectives taking their
roots in various  schools and traditions.

The following topics will be included. Other suggestions are welcome.

General introduction
- Geographical distribution
- Historical perspective regarding the research on Austronesian languages
- Comparative studies and genetic classification

Typology
- From West to Est: Typological evolution of Austronesian languages
- Formosan languages
- Philippine languages
- Other western Austronesian languages
- Oceanic languages

Studies on specific linguistic problems
- Acoustic phonetics, phonology
- Morpho-syntax
- Discourse

Sociolinguistic studies
- Studies on the research carried out on the areas depicted above
(e.g., Formosan
linguistics, Philippine Linguistics etc.)
- National languages vs. minority languages
-Languages vs. dialects, dialects vs. dialectal varieties
- Development of writing systems vs. orality
- Preservation vs. extinction
- Teaching of Austronesian languages
- Areal contacts (in a same linguistic group; between different
language families)
- Code-switching
- Pidgins

If you are willing to contribute to this project, please write a
three-four page
summary of the paper you intend to submit including data and major
hypotheses/analyses as well as a short list of references and send it
to us (see our addresses below) before June 1st, 2001.
Following the tradition established by the editors of Faits de
Langue, a workshop
will be organized in October 2002 so that contributors may expose
their views and
exchange opinions. Final papers are due February 2003. The
publication of this volume is set for October 2003.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further inquiries.
					Thank you in advance,
			J. de La Fontinelle and E. Zeitoun
_
Mail your correspondance to:
Jacqueline de La Fontinelle		or	Elizabeth Zeitoun
E12 Les grandes Coudraies			Institute of Linguistics, 409 R
91190 Gif sur Yvette				Academia Sinica
France                                          11529 Nankang, Taipei
						Taiwan, ROC

--
Dr Malcolm D. Ross