Thanks re: word for "dog" etc.

Richard McGinn mcginn at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 2 21:08:28 UTC 2000

Dear AN-Listers,

	Thanks to all who responded so quickly to my quest for languages with
words for "dog", "rich" and "wild pig" that looked more or less like the
corresponding words in Rejang (Sumatra).  Respondants to date have been:
Phil Quick, Steve Quackenbush, Allan Maxwell, Gillian Sankoff, Isidore
Dyen, Sander Adelaar, Malcom Ross, Adrian Cline, Ben Zimmer, Ishizawa
Takeshi, Jean-Paul Potetip, Joel Bradshaw and Michael Boutin.

	Here is a summary of the comparisons most likely to be significant (i.e.
having a resemblance due to inheritance or borrowing--not chance)

	sugea'  "wealthy" -- Javanese sugih, Madurese sogi "wealthy"

	kuyu'  "dog"  -- Brunei Malay kuyuk "dog"

	jaoa'  "wild pig" -- (nothing yet; everyone seems stumped)

Thanks much!

	Here I will mention why I am interested in these words, among a few others
I am using as diagnostics.  It seems that the Rejangs are isolated
linguistically; they are only very distantly related to geographically
neighboring languages (Lampung, Kayu Agung, Malay, Batak).  We have good
knowledge of Rejang's phonological history (Blust 1984 (BTLV), McGinn 1997
(Diachronica); and we know that Rejang retains PMP infixes (-en- "passive",
-em- "active").  What I seek is a subgrouping hypothesis.  Are there any
languages lower than PMP that Rejang can possibly be subgrouped with?  At
present I am entertaining the speculation that the Rejangs migrated to
Sumatra from Borneo, based on some evidence I discovered while preparing my
8-ICAL paper for the Proceedings, now published as Paul J-k Li 1999.  In
this light, the Brunei Malay word for "dog" (kuyuk) strikes me as
especially interesting.

	Again, thanks to all for your help.

Dick